Thursday, 25 May 2006

Cuckoo

I think that was a cuckoo that woke me up at 5am this morning. Not entirely sure, as am not entirely sure of anything at that time. What the heck is a cuckoo doing on Berneray.

On our first trip to the Outer Hebrides, five years ago, the first night was spent in Castlebay on Barra. Periodically, we were woken up by the loudest bird in Scotland on a telegraph pole outside. Its twittering was somewhere between a cockerel and a bark. I've been back to Barra several times since (the beaches on the west and north sides are sensational) and haven't seen or (thankfully) heard the damned thing since.

1 comment:

  1. We heard a cuckoo last week here on Skye, so it is entirely likely. I believe they 'prey' on skylarks up here but I'd love to know definitively.

    ReplyDelete