Tuesday, 10 April 2007

Come fly with me...

Hei! 

My last blog posting for a while, as am off to Finland in a while to present at the Games in Society conference in Tampere. While I am away am going to experiment with Twitter (which appears to be a kind of microblog-within-a-blog) on this website. Occasionally things will change - maybe - in the blue box at the bottom of the right hand column. Not sure about the social use of it.

It's also a good time to get away as there's an election on. And it's got about as nasty, revenge-oriented, and spin-filled as is possible. The local forums and some of the blogs are choked up with people going at it hammer and tongs. Decent and reasonable debate got lost sometime ago. So thankfully I'll miss most of the remainder of the campaign. 

This trip will mean my first bit of air travel in a while. Speaking of which, here's a picture of Berneray and the Sound of Harris, taken from a high altitude plane.

It's the first time I've seen a picture containing both my home island and the curvature of the earth [though see the first comment on this blog entry]. It is easy to see the causeway which connects the island to North Uist, as well as the west beach curving around the left of the island. Picture by Flickr user focalplane who has a pretty amazing set of high altitude pictures.

Many people think Berneray is shaped like a bear, but after looking at various pictures for a while, it looks to me more like a trainer (as in the shoe) left upright on its heel (the west beach being the sole).


Media_httpfarm1static_cujie



Whatever it resembles, from that altitude it looks, well, fragile. It's difficult to believe that this is the permanent home of 130 people. 

Näkemiin,
Silversprite

3 comments:

  1. Hi Silversprite! Thanks for the kind mention and links to my Flickr photos. My own website, focalplane.com has more. BTW, the curvature of the Earth may partly be due to wide angle lens distortion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very jealous. My wife lived in Finland for a while in her childhood, and we've visited her old stomping grounds. It's a fabulous country, and I'd love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. surely if you're going to be checking out a next generation social networking tool while you're in Finland it should be Jaiku! Higher in next big thing status AND from Finland :)

    ReplyDelete