Sunday, 3 June 2007

Online footprint, and paper to digital

While waiting for the rain to clear, I started to doodle which websites and net-based services I used the most. 

This turned into a nice little chart that I'll keep for posterity. It only includes services and websites which I still regularly use, so things such as YouTube (which increasingly are a disappointment due to the variable content quality) are not included. It'll also be something to compare with, say, two years from now to see how things have moved on.

Despite the fact that it may encourage stalkers (though here in the Outer Hebrides I should be safe), and for work reasons people should be careful with their online footprint, I've decided to stick it online. I doubt it is, nowadays, wildly different to quite a few million other people.

Here it is:


Media_httpfarm2static_bejmc



... and if that isn't readable enough, its available in different sizes.

And yes, I do recognise the irony in using pen and paper to plot the various digital services I use the most.

The five services in the centre are the ones that occupy the bulk of online time. Second Life (partially for work), this blog/website, Facebook for keeping in touch, Del.icio.us for bookmarking, and Flickr for pictures. What's more interesting is that a fair amount of content shuffles between these five; for example, my Flickr pictures appear on my blog and in my Facebook profile.

Around the five are other net-based services that don't get such a look-in. For example, social network directs are accounts on other blogging or social networking sites that just point to my active blog and/or Facebook service. There's utterly no way I've got the time (or inclination) to build up profiles and stuff on MySpace, Bebo and whatever else as well as on Facebook. And with the duplication in services and functionality, little point. 

Other sites I add content to seem, on reflection, to have a strong travel/geographic bias. I trade on eBay, Amazon and CafePress. And my news comes mainly from the BBC news website, the websites of 2 newspapers (Stornoway Gazette and Glasgow Herald), and an awesome service which gives the front cover of many newspapers around the world.

That last one, the Newseum service, is a bit of an oddity when you think about it. It takes a traditional form of media (newspapers) and makes them available, digitally, to anyone online - but keeping the original newspaper front cover format. I love it, and it's good to see the slant newspapers elsewhere put on Scottish and UK events. Sometimes, paper (though digitised and stuck online) is easiest to work with after all :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment