Sunday, 19 August 2012

A fragmented half decade

I've just mapped out the online services and websites (other people's, and the ones I host myself), as well as blogs and other places where I have accounts that I put content in.

The last time I did this exercise was a little over five years ago. Then, it looked like this:

Online footprint June 2nd 2007

Now, it looks like ... actually am not going to put a picture on here. From a security point of view, that's not wise. But basically; something a lot more complicated. And that's after deleting a whole swathe of social media over the last few weeks.

I'm a bit horrified by the number of things I signed up for, and the oft-weak reasons for doing so. In more than a few cases, the reason being "that looks fun" - and the excuse I've given myself being "Well, this may be useful at some point. Surely? Yes?"

I'm also now wondering how many of these are linked by the same password and/or sign-up email address. Some changes of either or both of these, starting with the critical work-related hosted services and moving outwards, have started.

So. The questions I need to ask myself in the future are:

  1. Do I need to open an account at this online service?
  2. How does it fit into the grand scheme of things?
  3. How much time is this going to occupy (kinda wish I'd asked myself that before starting on The Twitter)?
  4. Do I need another new email address and password?

Heck. That reminds me. Have a look at domain names I own, next... :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment